Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Malawi Messages #3

@Hannah Dawley’s Family and friends:
Hi everyone! This is my 2nd week in Malawi, Africa. We went to Lake Malawi this weekend. It was very relaxing, but there were a lot of bugs. There were multiple cockroaches in my room as well as mzuzus (mosquitoes) and one praying mantis. Today was our second day back at the Mission. We told the story of Jesus feeding the 5,000 people and so we gave every kid a cupcake. Some of the kids didn’t know how to eat it, so they would lick off the frosting and think that the cake part wasn’t edible. We had to show them how to take bites of the whole thing. It was really cute!! Please be praying for the kids right now, since a girl fainted yesterday and was diagnosed with Cerebral Malaria at the local clinic. Please pray for their safety at their homes and at the Mission. Thank you so much for your prayers and for keeping up with what is going on in Malawi! ~Love, Hannah Dawley

@Soetjes - Daddy and Taylor:
This trip is going by so fast! And its crazy to think that I have been 17 for a whole week! I really miss you guys and have been thinking about you a lot! Today at the children’s center we gave all the kids their first cupcake! It was so cute because they weren’t sure how to eat it so they mashed it all up first then ate it with their plastic knives! And I’m definitely starting to have chocolate milk withdrawals so it might be a good idea to bring some to the airport when we get back so that I don’t pass out! J Keep praying for us and for all the children we are helping out! Cant wait to see you guys soon! Love you tons! ~Love always, Kiley and Mommy! Xoxoxoxoxo

@Mrs Lee: Operation Bear Hug was a success! <3 Your Mini-me

@Meghan’s family and friends:
I’m having a ton of fun, and I can’t believe we’re going back home in just a few days! The girl I’m holding in the picture in the last blog post is named Yanko. She’s four (but so tiny!), and really cute! I’ve spent most of the time at the center hanging out with her so her older brother and sister can play and have some time to be kids.
See you soon! <3 Meghan

5 comments:

  1. Meghan - So good to see your message. I can almost hear you talking when I read it. Mom tried calling this morning before going off to clean up her classroom but we kept getting a message that the number does not exist. We are so grateful for the wonderful journals being sent so we can be a part of what you are doing. Saturday can't come soon enough for me! Praise God for the blessings you all have been to the people of Malawi. I'm sure they will never forget you, as you will never forget them! Love, Gram (Mom,Rich & Papa send their love too)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meghan - I've tried to call several times since Mom left but the call won't go through. Wanted you to know that the Giants swept the A's 3 games (that was fun) BUT the Angels have won the first 2 games (that's not fun). Rich is going to the game today. Maybe he will be their good-luck charm. See ya real soon, my sweet! I love you, Gram

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Mini-me, :)

    HOORAY! Thanks so much for your help!!! I hope Miss Doyle liked the Hamster Dance too! Heehee.

    Also, I had a great time at my first baseball game last Friday. Tim Lincecum pitched the whole game for a shutout and he even made a hit with the bases loaded. I also had my first garlic fries. I'm really glad I got to go!

    When you get back, hopefully your mom won't keep taunting you about that one topic ;) and I can give you the rest of the good news!

    Blessings to you and the team,
    - Mrs. Lee

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Natali,

    We are praying you and the team "finish well" there together and with the people of Malawi..be blessed my daughter. Mom is excited to meet you soon. . .I am doing better.

    Love you, Dad

    PS If you have any ZICAM products with you, do not use it as the FDA has pulled it from the shelves, you might pass this on to Mrs DeSmidt to tell anyone else there also !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Elizabeth - We hope you're well. We had a nice birthday party yesterday with Rose where she opened many ecologically-unsound gift boxes. We wanted to videotape the party for you, but then we remembered that you have the videocamera! We tried using just the charger, but discovered that does not work, vaguely akin to the videocamera not working without the charger. (It's a basic physics principle involving electrical power, capacitance, and current discharge that John would be happy to explain). Anyway, E&K came over and we all marveled at how much pizza Uncle Kevin can ingest. Today is our 26th wedding anniversary, and Daddy is celebrating it by flying to NJ so that he can collect you in Boston on Sunday morning. I'm pretty sure normal families don't have plans like this! We look forward to seeing you soon, and hope that your experiences in Malawi have made you a little less normal.

    ReplyDelete